11/03/2011

knock knock...

I have a serious question to ask -- and be honest.

Is knocking on doors an American thing?

I am always caught really off guard when I am in the bathroom, and somebody tries to enter without knocking. Luckily, I am smart enough to keep the doors locked. But Americans, am I alone in thinking that a closed bathroom door means that somebody is probably in there? If I ever approach a bathroom door and it is closed, I knock -- without hesitation. It's a small gesture that can save 2 people (or more) from a very uncomfortable situation.

Europeans, do you knock? Or does it just so happen that every European I have ever lived with overlooks it?

Is this why nobody else likes knock-knock jokes?
I'm just wondering here.

A rather strange thing happened to me the other week -- where somebody tried to enter my room ... without knocking. I was really taken aback. (And so were they when I said "hola?!" ... and they took off down the hall!) The whole situation could have been avoided with a simple tap on the door.

I'm just wondering if anybody else questions the door-knocking norms worldwide. Lately it has been bothering me...I'd like to know your opinions!

5 comments:

  1. Well, for what it's worth, my Saudi students always knock on the door when they enter the classroom. I explained to them that if they are late, it's rude to knock and disrupt the whole class. They were glad to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm, I really don't know, but when I was living with my bf and another roommate, she got PISSED at me for not closing and locking the door so she would know I was in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog post! I haven't noticed this in Vienna, but I'll start paying attention now and get back to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an individual thing I think. My Cypriot flatmate believed in knocking, and I believed in locking :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My roomies knock. Your flatmate is just a creeper.

    ReplyDelete