5/08/2012

En Abril, Aguas Mil

I know... it's not even April anymore. But you get the idea.
Recently, the weather has been causing some serious confusion here in Sevilla.

First of all, it seems that our spring weather has taken a few steps backward, or at least it slowed down a bit. I am sort of okay with this, though. It was really nice for a while there -- but at the rate the temperature was increasing, we were due to hit 90 degrees by the beginning of May. While I like sunshine and warmer weather, I was not exactly ready to sweat bullets or combat heat exhaustion. So, I suppose these last couple of weeks, I welcomed the rain as a metaphorical speed bump (except for that time I was cursing it, walking through torrential downpours on my way home from school). Miraculously, Sevilla's normal weather has been transplanted to Pittsburgh, where 85 degree weather and sunny days were the norm last week. Who says climate change isn't a thing??

But I'm not the only one confused by weather. It's evident that everyone's a little unsure of it by the way people are dressing. If you were to stand for one minute, (no more, no less) on any random sidewalk in Sevilla, you are guaranteed to see a nice mixture of people wearing short shorts and tank tops, while others are in long pants, boots, and jackets. How is this possible??

Well, to be fair, the girls in short shorts and tank tops are probably American, while the Spanish are pretending not to sweat in their jackets and long pants. All stereotypes aside, though, it's rather impossible to figure out the weather by watching what people are wearing outside.

I just wonder how long it will be before everyone stops asking whether or not we're cold without our sweaters on.

1 comment:

  1. oh, el tiempo... what a great topic for conversation.

    Seguro que no tienes frio?

    ReplyDelete