1/11/2013

When Life Gives You Lemons...

Metaphorically, I've encountered many lemons in the midst of a gloomy Pittsburgh winter. But I find it a little ironic that the only time life has literally given me lemons was while I was living in Sevilla.

One early spring day, I unexpectedly found myself in possession of some homegrown lemons simply because a coworker had pulled them off of her tree and thought to bring them to me. (A gesture that strikes me as so typically Andalusian.) In the literal sense, life handing me lemons was a welcome and friendly surprise that forever changed the meaning of that overused refrain.

When I received those lemons, my first thought was to pour a strong gin and tonic. I could definitely go for one of those right about now. ;)

...But don't worry, I did make some lemonade, too.

1 comment:

  1. I love it. And yes, that is so typically Andalusian. When I was there, "life" gave me pomegranates... and some other kind of fruit... I've never seen it since.

    ReplyDelete