8/29/2012

The Ultimate Perk of Bilingualism

Everybody's quick to note the benefits of being bilingual, (see below). From being a highly marketable skill in the work force, to delaying or preventing the onset of dementia, to improving "brain power" and cognitive skills, it's pretty obvious that knowing a second language has its perks.

It recently occurred to me, though, that even if I don't experience any of the other benefits -- even if I never have a job where I speak Spanish, even if I suffer the effects of dementia at a young age, even if my cognitive skills never improve, learning a second language has been worth all the effort, if only for the fact that it brought many people into my life whom I would have never had the chance to communicate with otherwise. I've made some amazing friends and shared some inspiring and profound conversations completely in my second language. And that's a benefit that can't be topped.


New York Times - The Benefits of Bilingualism
NPR - Being Bilingual May Boost Brain Power

3 comments:

  1. Great post! Can I make a request? I hope you do a blog post on the funny mistakes you've made in your second language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I wouldn't trade my time in Spain for anything! I so hope to live there again one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I'm going to steal these articles for my Spanish classes :). Miss you!

    ReplyDelete