11/07/2011

a change of taste

So, it's not official or anything, but I ate fish today and I liked didn't mind it. While I don't yet consider myself a fan, this is a major step for me. I didn't just try one kind of fish, either-- I had a few. I ate cod, calamari, some sardine-like things, and then some bigger sardine-like things. I didn't really enjoy the sardine-like things, but I didn't hate them either. The calamari was good, and it wasn't chewy like I've had in the past, but the texture was still a little too strange for me. It was the cod that I actually enjoyed. And yes, all of these fish were frito, so that might have something to do with why I didn't mind it. But the important thing is that I tried it all, right?

Honestly, my tastes have changed a lot since I started living in Spain. When I arrived for the first time a few years ago, I hated olives, fish, coffee, and mushrooms, and I was disgusted at the thought of uncooked (though cured) jamón serrano that sat out on a counter for weeks or months until it was consumed. Nowadays, though, I miss the jamón when I'm in the United States, I drink coffee on a semi-regular basis, I buy olives to eat at my own apartment, and I add mushrooms to whatever I'm cooking.

I'm not sure if the change in taste is due to sheer exposure, or maybe it's just a result of growing up, but whatever it is, se nota.

One thing I haven't caught onto yet is the legumbre family.. the lentils and garbanzos and alubias. If anybody thinks they can make a mean dish of lentils or garbanzos, I'd be willing to try it... but until then, I have no plans of convincing myself to like these things. If I do end up converting, my blood might literally turn Spanish... so I better be careful.

2 comments:

  1. WHAT?! I looooove the legumbres. Good thing, being a vegetariana and all. And my two favorite (and only fish tapas that I liked) were chocos fritos and cazon en adobo. Pruebatelos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the calamari thing I ate was called chocos... but I couldn't remember the spanish name. They were ok. And I don't remember what the other little tiny fish were called... To me, they are pretty much all the same! (and I probably won't be ordering them for myself anytime soon!)

    ReplyDelete