11/01/2011

Penniless

So the majority of these last two weeks have been spent in a constant state of financial worry! I haven't gone grocery shopping in a few weeks (aside from veggies here, a frozen pizza there) because I haven't had enough money to really stock up! Ridiculous!! I survived mostly on pasta, cereal, €1 montaditos, and dinners with friends. But the most important thing is that I did survive!

I am beginning to think that life in Sevilla is much more expensive than life in Toledo. Can free tapas really make that much of a difference? Our motto last year was "We drink to eat..." And it was true. We would go out, order a beer or two, and get enough free tapas to make a dinner. I definitely miss those days! In Sevilla, you've gotta pay for it all... but I'm learning, poco a poco, the little places with the good deals. €3 for 5 botellines? Yes please! €1 montaditos? mmmhmm! €5,90 for a menu of the day? You bet!

I suppose I also realized how much I love being able to arbitrarily agree to meet anybody, at any time, for a coffee or a beer. Having no pocket change means no coffees! And let's face it, no coffees makes for a boring week.

The good news is that I finally did get paid! The money showed up in my account yesterday! And I feel like a human being again! I'm finally beginning to give some private lessons now also, so that money should help out as well. I'm still not rich by any means, but at least now I can postpone my plans to acquire various dogs and hole up in the doorway of an abandoned storefront in the center of town. But I guess there's always next month...

2 comments:

  1. When you were in Toledo, did you live in the actual city? I studied abroad there and loved it! It's such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did live in the center! It was gorgeous... such a unique place to live! I will always have a place in my heart for Toledo. :)

    ReplyDelete