12/09/2011

Unrequited Love Affair

Sorry for the lack of posting. I'm somewhat of a vagabond these days. And to be honest, I've been a little bit of a Debbie Downer, too, and I don't want that rubbing off on all of you kind people.

I am spending as little time as possible at my own apartment these days. I am searching in earnest for a new place. And the icing on the cake? I no longer have internet at home. That makes life a little difficult. I have done way too much laundry and I have gone into work an hour early on multiple occasions. This is no way to live. ;)

Luckily, during this time of unrest and uncertainty, I have realized just how great the people around me are (but I mean, I always knew that). I have several people offering their homes and internet to me... people who cook for me, whether they want to or not. When I get settled into a new place, I promise I'll return the favor(s).

I am beginning to feel like my life in Spain is an unrequited love affair. I feel like I have given up everything to be here, and Spain is giving me nothing in return these days. (Don't worry, Spain. I'm getting the hints.) Between extranjería issues, and apartment issues, and your general it's-obvious-that-I-don't-belong-in-this-culture issues, I have been a little discouraged lately. But I'm hoping that a new apartment and a new year will make things much better when I get back from Christmas vacation.

Oh, and by the way, can we talk about how excited I am to go home for Christmas? It's pretty much what's keeping me going these days. Perhaps I prepared myself mentally for it last year, or maybe I've just given up this year because I know the break is coming shortly, but I can't imagine staying here over the holidays again. Not this year.

And thank God I can listen to songs like these again. Christmas was less fun without these gems in my playlists.

I, too, am heading for Pennsylvania and some homemade pumpkin pie. :)

Hope things are going well for all of you.
I'm still hoping that I'll come back from the United States to find a new energy in my life here.

2 comments:

  1. It'll be awesome when you get back! We just need to have open body language to make new friends ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just glad you didn't say "Don't worry..." :)

    ReplyDelete