1/09/2012

2012, Can You Start Being Nicer? Please?


my roscón treasure!
Well, here we are, a little over a week into 2012. And how has it been? Let's just say that I might believe people when they say the world is going to end this year. If my first week is any indication of things to come, I'm scared. But despite the bad things that have happened, most have been resolved favorably. And I did get the figurita in a piece of roscón de reyes, sooo... prosperity and good luck are headed my way! I guess we'll just have to wait and see! 

To begin, my computer broke the night before my return to Spain. The power jack broke, and it would no longer charge. After lots of last minute scrambling, and even a little bit of crying in a computer repair shop when they told me they couldn't help me, and after spending my last 2 hours in the United States transferring all of my music and pictures onto my mom's laptop, I am happy to say that it seems that things are going to be okay. My mom, being the awesome lady she is, gave me her laptop.. and reminded me that I had bought a warranty for my own.. and the warranty is going to cover the whole cost of repair. And when it comes back, she is just going to use my computer. Whew... what horrible timing. And also, what good timing. Thank God my computer didn't break after I got here. That would have really been bad!

Anyway, I also found out the day after arriving to Spain that my mom would be having surgery in a few days. I was kind of distraught. I think that the worst part of being away from home is not being able to be there for those kinds of situations. So, I was really nervous. But, the good news is that she went in for surgery today. And everything turned out fine. I think it was even better than they had thought, because they let her go home the same day. I was really relieved to hear that.

Also, my first few days back in Spain were spent in Toledo and Madrid. Mostly Toledo, though. I'm sure that by now, you all know how much I love it. It was a nice weekend... for the most part. I got to hang out with Bailey and Liz, and we stopped at all of our old favorite places. It's nice to go back, to feel so comfortable there, to be recognized by waiters and store clerks, and to be asked how we're doing. We wandered the streets, found new shortcuts (because let's face it, there are always shortcuts to be learned in Toledo), and we watched the cabalgata, or the parade for Three Kings Day, which included real, live elephants! Unfortunately, the weekend had it's own share of interesting events, but that deserves its own post, I think.

Tomorrow is my first day back to work. I am kind of excited. I think it will just be good to get back into a routine. And maybe going to work will be the thing that finally breaks my jet lag. Since arriving, I have not gone to bed before 4am, and I have not gotten up before 2pm. Seeing as how I have to be at school by noon tomorrow (I know, I know, I can hardly complain, right?), it looks like I will have to force myself into a normal sleep schedule. Bring it on!

My apartment continues to be a rather hostile environment, but I just learned today that a friend of mine is moving in. Good news! And hopefully better news will follow shortly (that somebody will be on their way out!)!

Also here, I would like to make note of the Steelers losing their first playoff game last night. What a shame. Just when I thought we had reason for hope, it ended just like that... We'll get 'em next year.

But you see, 2012? You need to start being nicer.

3 comments:

  1. Agreed. But I guess it's better to get it all out at the beginning? I'm so glad your mom is doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll be better! We have 5/6 more months to live it up in Sevilla! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry 2012 has been sucky so far. But you are so right, there ARE always shortcuts to be found in Toledo. When I was there, I always just went in a general direction!

    ReplyDelete