1/31/2012

Is that what I think it is??

Some things, you just never expect to see.

This is what I found on my way to work this morning -- a man tightrope walking between buildings. I think it was an advertisement for something, but to be honest, I don't really know. I was in a hurry, initially irritated by the commotion that I was walking into. I thought it was just another tour group taking up the entire sidewalk, which is the typical source of commotion on my way to work. But when I got closer, I couldn't believe it. I had to walk under the rope to get where I was going, hoping he didn't choose to fall at the same exact moment. I snapped a quick cell phone picture, and then I continued to get on the metro, half wondering if I made up what I had just seen. Thank God for camera phones. This photo is legit, too... probably the coolest picture I've taken in a really long time. The subject matter is pretty awesome, too. I hope it makes your day like it made mine. :) Is it possible to witness something like this and not have it make your day?

This picture reminds me of a book I read last year called "Let the Great World Spin" by Colum McCann, which looks at the lives of several people in 1974, when a man tight rope walked between the Twin Towers. There is also a documentary about the walker, Philippe Petit, called "Man on Wire". So good, I recommend them both! 


No comments:

Post a Comment