1/20/2012

Want to Know What Heaven Smells Like?

In Spain, I have come across many things that heaven does not smell like. For instance, the horses that sit outside of the cathedral in Sevilla, or the smell of a pescadería (fish market), or the B.O. scent that tends to linger on public buses when it's warm outside.

But I have also found the closest scent possible to heaven -- a mixture of Catholic church incense and rosemary. This is the smell of Corpus Christi in Toledo. In Sevilla, it's the smell at the corner of Avenida de la Constitución and Calle García de Vinuesa, where a man sits daily outside of the Horno de San Buenaventura and peddles incesnse kits for at-home burning. (I kind of want one.)

I may not agree with everything in the Catholic church, but one thing we do have in common? -- What we think heaven should smell like.

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what guy you mean! I turned down that street off of Avenida de la Constitución everyday on my way to school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... incense for sure. I forgot about that... Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete