9/07/2011

The Essentials.

So I started making a list yesterday of the essentials that I need to pack with me. Having done this a few times before, I have a better idea of what it is that I crave when I'm abroad. Peanut Butter is huge for most expats, but one jar can probably last me a year. In fact, I have a stockpile of peanut butter that I left in Spain, thanks to a few care packages sent last year. So we can check that one off the list.

What else is on the list? Most of these items are food. And hygiene products. Be forewarned.
Also note: any of these items would be gladly accepted in a care package. ;)

1. Deodorant. The Europeans just don't understand the magic of my Secret Invisible Solid. The roll-on business doesn't cut it for me. So every time I take off for Spain, I make sure to pack a Costco-sized value pack of my favorite kind.

2. Chapstick. I think you can get chapstick in Spain. At least you can probably buy lip balm or lip gloss, but I'm really particular about my brand. I haven't used anything but the teal tubes of medicated Blistex in years, and there's NO WAY I'd be able to live without it. I mean really, I might be addicted.

3. Reese's Cups. There's nothing more to say. Just trust me. Take a bag of the Reese's minis. You won't regret it.

4. Kraft Mac n Cheese. To be honest, my homesickness often comes in the form of the Blue-Box-Blues. Nothing says America like a 79 cent boxed meal of pasta and cheese powder. And it always hits the spot. I didn't think to pack this one with me last year, but when my mom came to visit in February, I had her bring a few boxes for me. This year, I will come prepared!

5. Ranch & Italian dressing. Oh, Ranch. At one point in my life, I probably had as much Ranch dressing flowing through body as I had blood in my veins. I ate it on everything! I have since scaled it way back, but I still crave a salad with Ranch every now and then. It's a little difficult to import bottles of dressing, but this year, I'm planning on bringing a small jar each of Ranch and Italian seasoning. A little mixin' and fixin' in the kitchen, and I can have a Ranch or Italian side salad whenever I darn well please!

6. Baking stuff. I love to bake -- the American way; making American deserts with American measurements. Measuring cups are essential. Last year I took a dozen silicon muffin cups with me, which was good, but it limited me to 12 muffins or cupcakes. And think about it -- when's the last time you made a cupcake recipe that only made 12? That made it a little difficult to share my muffiny goodness with coworkers and friends.. and I had to make sure to always get my silicon muffin molds back! This year, I'm hoping to bring a silicon muffin tray, along with some cute little cupcake papers. That way, I can impress the Spaniards not only with the taste of these babies, but with the presentation as well. I may even bring a pasty bag, too, for decorating. I'm committed this year!


There are also a few things that I thought I would just have to learn to live without, but I found some pretty decent substitutions. What's on that list, you ask?

1. Pumpkin. - If you know me, you may already know that I've got core-deep love for Pumpkin anything, and unfortunately, pumpkins aren't too common in Spain. Last year for Thanksgiving, I couldn't stand the thought of going without Pumpkin Pie. So I made a butternut squash pie instead. It ROCKED. Seriously. Maybe I'll even share the recipe around the holidays (I'd share it now, but I'd have to go get my notebook).

2. Sour Cream. - Sour Cream is essential for many things in my world. It took a few months to figure it out, but natural, unsweetened Greek yogurt is probably the closest substitute possible. It sounds funny, but try it. You'll see.

3. Cheddar Cheese. - I didn't actually find a substitute for cheddar cheese. Even better. I found the real thing! Even though it isn't as common in Spain, I did find some cheddar at a few stores around Toledo. Take heart, cheddar lovers -- It does exist!

As always, I feel like I'm forgetting something. What's on your list of essentials?

8 comments:

  1. Hey, I found your blog too! Do you recommend that I take some stuffing, turkey gravy packets, and cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving or are those things easy to find?
    Also, where did you find the cheddar cheese in Toledo? Was it super expensive? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stuffing, you could make from scratch. I know it takes effort, but it's probably worth it for the taste, and to not have to carry the box in your suitcase. You can probably make gravy from chicken stock or something, but if you really want the turkey flavor, you might want to bring it.... along with cranberry sauce. Cranberries aren't too common there. The only problem is, cans are heavy when you're importing foods, so only take it if it's essential to you! (and cranberry sauce is pretty thanksgiving-essential!)

    The cheddar cheese I found in 2 places. At the Eroski at the Luz del Tajo mall, and at the Hiperfroiz at the Puerta de Toledo mall. Anytime I found it, I'd buy 2 packs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally stocked up on everything too! Peanut butter, cosmetics etc. I really want to visit you in Spain! Maybe sometime this Spring? Yes? Ok consider it done!

    Maybe we'll see some elephants :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. JESSIE!!!! Come any time!! You will always be welcome! And I'll let you know when I'm ready for a Viennese adventure! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The one thing I kept wanting when baking was unsweetened cocoa powder. I could never find it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last year I found cocoa powder at Mercadona! I found some azucar glas (powdered sugar) there as well. Those are definitely cupcake essentials. haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cranberries!!! They don't seem to have that in Spain...I literally looked at every single store in town last year. Bring a few cans of cranberry sauce with you for Thanksgiving! Unless you are OK settling for dried cranberries, which you can actually buy at Mercadona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since we are talking about food and I plan to be in Spain next year, can you tell me if you have seen any ground corn meal in Spanish grocery stores? I'm thinking if I can't make it home for Thanksgiving (it's only one day it's not feasible to come back to the states) it would be nice to make my mother's southern cornbread dressing...as we don't do stuffing in our house. I've searched online (thinking ahead) and the only thing I seem to find is corn meal for animal feed in Spain...yikes.

    ReplyDelete