9/30/2011

The Piso Hunt

Leading up to my time here, it seemed that everyone I spoke to in the US had one major question for me (to which I could give them no answer): "So do you have a place to live yet?"
The fact that I didn't know where I would be living wasn't really a concern for me. I mean, yeah, I knew I would have to go through the daunting process of apartment hunting, in a foreign city, in a foreign language... but these things always have a way of working themselves out, right?
(Or so I thought.)

I have been in Sevilla for three full days now, two of which have been jammed packed with apartment hunting. I must have called about 20 people, walked in circles around the places I am thinking about living in, taken down flier after flier from the university, searched for hours online, visited several apartments, and yet I still feel like I'm coming up with nothing.

Last year, things worked out so easily, so quickly. I got a phone call (notice that I was on the receiving end!) about a room for rent, on my second day there, and it came with English classes to boot! And that situation seemed ideal, but most of us know that in some ways, it wasn't. (The piso itself was good though, don't get me wrong...)

I think I may be jaded this time around. I have looked at an apartment here that I do like. A lot, I think. I could see myself living there. The location is fantastic. And it's an improvement in almost every way from where I was last year... almost. (But now I'll have to share a bathroom with 3 other people .. two of whom are males.) I have only met one of the potential roommates. And there's an older guy living there, which is some cause for question. So, once again, the apartment seems great, but the fear of the living situation is what's holding me back.

I told myself not to jump into the first apartment I saw (like last year), and 8 apartments later, I'm still having trouble dipping my toes into the water. While I'm busy being Little Miss Fickle over here, I'm afraid that if I do decide that I want the piso, it will be gone by the time I'm ready to call. So I'm feeling time pressure, which is making me feel even more cautious. And I was hoping to be in a place before I start working (Monday!)

Where is that Staples Easy Button when you need it?
I wouldn't mind some prayer on the topic -- that I will know what opportunity is right for me, and also for peace in the meantime.

Really guys, though this is nerve-racking, I keep reminding myself that this is the worst part. Not having a routine and a permanent address are just some of the little things you have to get over when you move to a new city. But once this all gets sorted out, I'll get back to the regularly scheduled adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment