10/10/2011

my favorite mistakes

Language teaching can be lots of fun. Students often say hilarious things that they don't really mean to say. And sometimes they do mean to say it, but it's the surprise that gets you.

Having finished up my first week at the instituto, I have a few highlights of my favorite statements made by students from our first few days. These are in no particular order, and more may be added later.

-- 'My name is Alex. I am 13 years old. I have a sister. She is 9 years old. She is a bitch.'

-- 'Is it true that America is the land of opportunities?' (This was such a sweet question, and the boy who asked it struggled to get it out. It made my heart melt!)

-- 'Do all Americans have blue eyes?' (Just a coincidence that both American assistants are light haired/light eyed.)

-- Feeding World Day, 17th October. Don't forget to grab your Iberican ham roll! :)

-- Upon reading the question 'Who is the current president of the United States?' A boy answered "Bush". We said, no... and he said, in Spanish, "Current means corrupto (corrupt), right?" ... I couldn't help but laugh at this one. hehe

-- While introducing themselves, one student said, "I like to go to the beach." For some reason, this statement made a lot of boys giggle. We had to explain that the student was, in fact, correct, and that 'beach' is not a palabrota.

-- Upon seeing my super awesome tragus earring, a bunch of the first graders (12-13 year olds) were super excited and were trying to ask (in an adorable mixture of English and Spanish) if it hurt... They thought it was so awesome. I agree. Last year, my first graders were obsessed with my cartilage piercing, too. I don't know what it is about that age...but if you're ever struggling to win the affection of 12-13 year olds, go get a funky ear piercing, and you will instantly be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment