10/12/2011

when I grow up...

For 24 years now, I have struggled with the question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

I've thought about several careers at various points in my life -- ranging from teacher, to pharmacist, to research psychologist, to writer, to working in radio, to social worker, to baker, to congresswoman, to translator, and several other things in between.

I've consoled myself several times with this song by Baz Luhrmann.
Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don't.

I've taken those nifty little quizzes that categorize your personality type and tell you what others like you are good at. They are supposed to answer your life questions for you, but they don't tell me anything new. "Congratulations! You can be anything you want to be!!" That's good news-- but what if I have NO IDEA?

So, I've decided to open up the floor. Maybe it's just too hard for me to see it for myself. If you know me, (and I hope that some of you do), what do you think I should be when I grow up? Maybe you'll come up with a better idea!

I know it's a little late to be asking this, but better late than never, right?
If I'm ever going to come back stateside, I better start getting some sort of plan in order.

Okay.... so, shoot!

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog, by the way! Fun.

    Ummm I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up so I don't think I should tell others what THEY should be hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what? You should be you. (I know this is not helpful). Also on NPR today, they were talking about how people in their early 20s try on a bunch of identities as they look for themselves. Asi que, pruebalos!

    ReplyDelete